The last 10 years have seen a number of major legal decisions that have drastically changed the landscape of our legal system. These decisions have mattered greatly to many different individuals, businesses, and organizations, and have had a lasting impact on the way in which cases are handled. Here are the most influential legal decisions of the past decade that have had a significant effect on legal practices and outcomes:
One of the most transformative decisions of the decade is the 2010 Supreme Court ruling in the case of Citizens United v. FEC. This landmark case ultimately opened the door for corporations and unions to spend unlimited amounts of money in political campaigns and elections. The ruling of the Supreme Court has served to spark ongoing debates in the US about corporate efforts to manipulate power and the right of free speech.
Obergefell v. Hodges
The decision of Obergefell v. Hodges was another major landmark case in the past 10 years and it set a precedent on a national level. This case essentially legalized same-sex marriage throughout the US, granting same-sex couples the same rights as opposite-sex couples. Since the ruling of Obergefell v. Hodges in 2015, same-sex couples have been afforded the same rights to marriage, adoption, and childcare as opposite-sex couples.
Gonzalez v. Raich
The case of Gonzalez v. Raich has had a major impact on the use of medical marijuana throughout the US. This Supreme Court decision from 2005 determined that the federal government has the power to restrict and regulate marijuana use, even if it’s for medical purposes and even if it’s used in states where it has been legalized. This ruling has major implications for medical marijuana users, who must now abide by federal laws in addition to state laws concerning the use of medical marijuana.
Legal Experts Involved in the Decisions
Each of the aforementioned landmark legal decisions had legal experts that were involved in a significant way. These legal experts included:
- Legal Expert Witness: in the Citizens United v. FEC case, there were several legal expert witnesses that were fundamental in providing evidence and opinion to the case.
- Legal Experts Van Nuys: several legal experts in Van Nuys were involved in the Obergefell v. Hodges case, providing their knowledge and expertise to the proceedings.
- Legal Expert Witness Directory: the Legal Expert Witness Directory was an invaluable resource when researching for the Gonzalez v. Raich case.
- Legal Nurse Expert Witness: medical professionals and legal nurses were key when consulting on the Gonzalez v. Raich case.
- Legal Expert Services: overall, all of the aforementioned landmark legal decisions involved legal expert services, from many different specialists.
These landmark decisions of the past decade have been shaped by the tireless work of legal experts providing their knowledge and expertise. The decisions made in these cases have had lasting effects on our legal system and the way in which many cases are now handled.
What are some of the most important Supreme Court decisions of the past decade?
1. National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius, 2012
2. Obergefell v. Hodges, 2015
3. United States v. Windsor, 2013
4. Citizens United v. FEC, 2010
5. Texas v. United States, 2020
6. Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights, 2018
7. Diggs v. United States, 2018
8. Janus v. AFSCME, 2018
9. Trump v. Hawaii, 2018
10. Burwell v. Hobby Lobby, 2014
Read more here.